+ I canceled a service after the free trial period, but the merchant continues to charge my checking account every month. How can I stop this?

Contact the merchant in writing and provide the date(s) on which you instructed the merchant to cancel the service. In the letter, provide information on how you cancelled the service or provide a copy of the notice. Tell the merchant to cancel both the service and the charges to your account. You should maintain a copy of this letter for your records.

You should also notify your bank that you no longer authorize these charges. If you are asserting that the charges already debited were not authorized, and the merchant did not issue credit for those charges, the bank may request that you complete an affidavit. The bank will investigate your claim.

You can ask your bank to place a stop payment on a pre-authorized transaction. To stop payment, you need to notify your bank at least three business days before the transaction is scheduled to be made. The notice to stop the transaction may be made orally or in writing. A bank can require written confirmation of an oral stop payment request. If the written confirmation is not received within 14 days of the oral notice, the oral stop payment order ceases to be effective.